Sunday 5 April 2015

Lets cosplay! Rock Lee

HAPPY EASTER!!!!!

I hope everyone is having a great day with movies and chocolate! Today I have decided to give my beloved sewing machine a break and enjoy my day day in front of the TV and take it easy.

I have decided that it is time to start putting my work up more often. What better way to start than to show off my most recent work?

'Lets cosplay!' is pretty much an idea derived from the 'Lets plays' that has stormed Youtube but instead of gaming I will give you a run through of my favorite costumes every once in a while.

I have attended Em-Con a few weeks ago in my hometown. Em-con is a annual convention in Nottingham that focuses of Sci-fi and fantasy as opposed to anime. There you can meet various actors from popular series such as Red Dwarf and Game of Thrones. There were also many dealers and artists around. It was a fantastic family event, with tiny Cybermen and little Jedis.

I was expecting it to be a crowded event so I opted for a costume of a character that is well loved, easy to wear and practical to move in when I need to retreat to a quieter place. Rock Lee was planned for Kitacon 2015 but because I was making fast progress with him I thought I'd budge him up ahead.

The weekend was a cold one and it was a chilled out event so we didnt have time to do a 'serious' photoshoot so much of the photos taken were us just messing about.

Several years ago I have brought the legwarmers on Ebay. I didn't have any plans to make the costume at the time but being a Rock Lee fan I had brought them for myself for a little joke and a nod to one of my favorite characters. I became more confident with wearing shorter wigs some time later so there we go!

The bodysuit was just a roll of blue Spandex that I was given for free a year ago. I have decided to make use of it by throwing it in 2 dye baths to achieve the colour. The first bath was by using Jacquards iDye (recommended by my good friend FishyFins) in green and another bath using Dark green Dylon dye. Jacquard's was by far effective but the Dylon gave it a slightly 'greener' hue. I have used my (Knight of Zero) Suzaku costume to help pattern the costume out and a simple green zipper rolls down the back. The collar has been replaced since being worn to Em-con.

The Chunin jacket was by far the most difficult part of the costume. I have adapted the beginning of it from a fleece jacket pattern my friend Katie have copied for me a few years back from Hinata. Though technically relatively simple, measurements were of prime importance getting the proportions right. The fabric was dyed white cotton using Dark Green Dylon fabric paint (same time as the bath for the bodysuit) and wadding was placed around the shoulders, collar and bottom hem. The red spiral was some leftover red PVC from Hikaru and appliqued onto the back.

The wig and forhead protector were also Ebayed. The wig had a ponytail that was cut off and tidied. The forehead protector plate was salvaged from a very cheap one and put onto a strip on polycotton. The eyebrows were coated with eyeliner.

Revisions are underway. I plan to make some new shoes for Kitacon!


No comments:

Post a Comment