Sunday 12 April 2015

Lets cosplay! Lady Subaru

Thanks Pouncy for the pic :D
Is everyone having fun at AmeChibi? Sadly it will be finishing for the year at the end of today but it has already been announced Amecon would be returning next year on the 29-31 July at the Warwick Arts Centre! Is everyone excited!

Today we will be going back in time a little bit and discuss one of my slightly earlier creations. Although it is defiantly far from one of my favorites it was still one of my greatest learning curves and has taught me alot of what I know about costume making today!

The base of the costume was made from Duchess Satin. Personally I am not a fan of dress satin as it is cheap and creases easily where Duchess Satin has this lovely sheen that doesnt show off every wrinkle. The top took like 4 attenpts before I got it right. In the end I have used an old T-shirt to draw on a rough patten and made a mock up. Thankfully the fabric was super cheap (£2 per metre hell yeah!!!).

The collar and apron were also made of Duchess Satin. The details on the apron were painted using Dylon fabric paint and were painted free hand. I have used hemming tape for the bias tape.

The pendant was sculpted by hand using fimo clay. I began by making the wings for it and done the feathers by hand. I made the body separate and glued them together before painting them in red and gold. The brooches were also fimo clay. The wings on the back were a pair of costume shop wings that were plucked off and reshaped using the same base. I have used wood glue to attach them and they finished so beautifully,

The shoulder poofs were hexagon-shaped bits of fabric that were shaped into pouches and have lots of tulle to poof them out. They both have elastic attached to them right across my back to slip the wings through, functioning as a harness for them as well as parts of the costume.


The boots and wig were ebayed.

Events worn to: Kitacon 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment